Safety Tips to Prevent Home Cooking Fires
Cooking Fires - How They Can Affect Your Home
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest County can help with all your fire restoration needs.
Cooking at home can be a fire hazard due to grease fires. The National Fire Protection Association reports that firefighters respond to roughly 172,100 fires started from cooking each year, or an average of 471 cooking fires each day.
Though there are more occurrences around the winter holidays. We should be prepared year-round for grease fires. The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Here are a few ways to prevent these grease fires:
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, boiling or broiling food
- While simmering, baking, or roasting food check it regularly and use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking
- Be gentle when adding food or oil to the pot or pan
- Use a thermometer to monitor temperature
- Always keep a lid, baking soda, and salt nearby
- Keep anything flammable (wooden spoon, oven mitts, etc.) away from pot or pan
These measures can all significantly help prevent a grease fire. Sometimes, these fires do break out, and here’s what you can do to fight it:
- If your fire leaves the stovetop, call 911 immediately
- Cover your pot or pan with a metal pan or cooking sheet
- NEVER use water to put out a grease fire
- Turn your burner off
- Use a Class-K fire extinguisher to fight the fire (Aim low, go slow!)
Remember, if your fire leaves your stovetop, you should call 911 immediately.
If those prevention tips do not work, and you do experience a fire, please follow those tips. If your home is damaged, SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest County can help with all your fire restoration needs.
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest County can provide you with:
- Board-up and tarp-up services
- Smoke and soot removal
- Odor removal
- Carpet and upholstery cleaning
- Caring for your belongings
SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest County understands how important it is to have your home and lives back to normal. If fire restoration services are needed, please call us at (814 849-5653).