WINTER IS ON ITS WAY! SERVPRO of Clarion Jefferson and Forest Counties Offers Tips To Prevent Frozen/Burst Pipes.
It’s that time of year to once again remind homeowners and renters to be aware of the potential for frozen pipes. Every winter season, the pipes in your business and home are at risk of damage from freezing conditions. Low temperatures can cause your water pipes to freeze, and in some cases burst. The following tips can help you safeguard your home before, during and after a pipe freezes.
PREVENT YOUR PIPES FROM FREEZING
- Disconnect all gardening hoses and install covers on all outside faucets.
- Keep your house temperature at 68 degrees or higher, even if you're leaving the house for an extended period of time.
- Open cabinet doors below sinks to allow heat from the home to circulate.
- Identify the location of the main water valve and the valve on your water heater. (Learning the location of these valves may come in handy during an emergency.
- Wrap pipes nearest exterior walls and in crawl spaces with pipe insulation or with heating tape. This can prevent freezing, especially for interior pipes that run along outside walls.
- Close all windows near water pipes; cover or close open-air vents. Freezing temperatures combined with wind drafts can cause pipes to freeze more frequently.
- Heat your basement and consider weather sealing your windows.
- Insulate outside walls and unheated areas of your home.
- If you plan to be away from home for an extended period of time, shut off water supply valves to your washing machine. Also have someone checking your home daily.
IF YOUR PIPES UNFORTUNATELY FREEZE AND BURST, CALL SERVPRO of Clarion, Jefferson & Forest Counties TO HELP ASSIST YOU IN YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS AT 814 849-5653. WE ANSWER 24/7 TO HELP MAKE IT “Like it never even happened.”